Verification of Folk Medicinal Plants in Southern Jordan

Saleh A. Al-Qura’n

Abstract


Three hundred and fifteen medicinal species that belong to 88 families were investigated in the area of the study. One hundred and ten medicinal species (34.92%) were mentioned by less than three informants, and therefore excluded from further consideration. One hundred and fourty one medicinal species (44.76%) were mentioned by three or more informants, but less than 15, so they were considred as unpopular kinds of medicinal plants. Only sixty four species (20.31%) were mentioned by 15 or more informants (half or more of the maximum number of the informants which is 30), and therefore considered as popular medicinal plants. Fourty five species (14.28.%) have Rank Order Priority (ROP) values that equal 50 or more which represnted the highest rank of medicinal popularity among the species investigated. One hundred and sixty eight species (53.33%) have medicinal uses similar to those in the neighboring countries, while the remaining one hundred and fourty seven species (46.66%) haven’t such similar common uses. The studied area was dominated mainly by Saharo-arabian element; although the Mediterranean, Irano-turanian and Nubo-sudanian elements were also present. This studied area showed a high level of species diversity; which required ecological awareness to protect and preserve the wild endemic species from further threats.

Keywords


Medicinal Plants, Therapeutic Effects, Fidelity Level (FL), Relative Popular Level (RPL), Rank Order Priority (ROP).

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.