Shoulder Magnetic Resonance Imaging Part 1: Descriptive Frequency and Outcome in a Teaching Hospital.

Fadi Abdul Raheem Hadidi, Nosaiba Tawfiq Al-ryalat, Asshar Faris Tarwnah, Israa Nazem Al-zawawi, Wala' Issa Bani Hamad, Sarah Tareq Al-Kubaisi, Mohammad Iqab Mujalli, Mohammad Ali Al-Qudah, randa saleh alqaisi, Saif al deen Saleh Alryalat, Azmy Mohammad A.hadidy

Abstract


Abstract
Aim: To evaluate the experience of the University of Jordan Hospital regarding shoulder magnetic resonance imaging and to compare our findings with those published in the medical literature.
Methods: In our study 986 shoulder MRI exams performed over a period of 4 years and 3 months were reviewed. Of those 267 were normal, of which 106 (39.7%) were females and 161 (60.3%) were males with percentage of (27%). These normal cases were excluded, while the remaining 719 patients (73%) with variable abnormalities were included in our study.
Results: A total of 719 patients’ MRIs were included with a mean age of 52.8 years (±13.2), with an age range of 18-81 years. Supraspinatus tendon is the most common muscle tendon affected by both full thickness tear (87 cases) (12.1%) and partial thickness tear (608 cases) (84.6%). We found a significant mean difference in age between patients with supraspinatus full thickness tear and normal tendon, with a mean difference of 11.5 years (CI 4.44 to 19.5), p< 0.001.
Conclusion:
Our parients shoulder MRI findings surprisingly showed the frequency of acromioclavicular joint degenerative changes to be much higher than those in the published literature, while the gleno-labral pathologies were much less in frequency. Other MRI shoulder pathologies were more or less in concordance with the published literature.

Keywords


Shoulder MRI, Shoulder pathologies, bone marrow signal abnormalities, rotator cuff muscles, acromioclavicular joint.

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.